Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Eat this!

I have plenty to write as I undertake to do this blog, though I think tiredness may cut it short!

-----------------------------------------------

It did! Haha wow that didn't last long... This is attempt two now. But again I'm sitting in bed in a fairly drowsy state, so I'm... struggling to finish this sentence! Haha here we go.

Well... I have had a fantastic summer break... It's been full of beach time, sunshine, Lord of the Rings, guitar strings, songs sung, touch games won (I don't lose.), star gazing, bonfire blazing, barbecues, Sean in blues, hang-a-langs, lay in the sand, long walks, decent talks...

Man! Rhyming takes effort! I had to turn off my Let It Be album so I could think! There's plenty more I'd like to add in... Perhaps it will surface as I continue!

-----------------------------------------------

Later on... haha yes, I failed at finishing again. I'm feeling in quite a curt, perhaps melancholic mood now, which is fun because I'm just being real blunt and direct to people, but it also may mean this gets boring! Oh well. I'll enjoy it.

When I last wrote, I said I was unsure how I'd be able to handle the holiday with so many people for such a long time. Turns out I really have become quite a people person! The jandal was well handled. It was a terrific twelve days, starting with about 15 of us at Ruakaka, then building to 40 of us for New Years, and then gradually less and less as we moved to a campsite at Parua Bay for another few nights. There wasn't really any period of time where I felt uncomfortable with such a crowd, so I was stoked. I actually loved it, different people coming and going the whole time, so that there were always plenty of great conversations to be had and feet to be walked besides. Different people to bring different vibes. It's cool how any one person has the power to change the dynamic of a group in some way, sometimes significant, sometimes subtle.

I guess as I've found more and more over the last couple of months how much of a people person I am ('people slut' as Jade put it), it's made architecture that much more difficult for me... Being back at work this week was so hard. I was trying to decipher whether it was the returning after such a great time away, or the work. I think both. But yesterday it was all made so much better! I'd been feeling lonely and bored, counting down the minutes everyday, but yesterday was great because the guy I'm working for cooked up a beautiful BBQ for those of us there, including a nice big hapuka and a variety of sausies. But it wasn't just the food, it was the conversation. I stayed out as long as I could, just talking with my colleagues about this and that. It was the first time I'd really had good conversation with them, so it's made me look much more positively on the prospect of working there more. To top of the day, the lady in charge of finances sat down with me to tell me they've been underpaying me, and so she gave me a raise and told me they'd be paying me $2 for every hour I've already worked! And thennnnn! I got a birthday letter from Jade last night! Such a great end to a hard week. It really made me appreciate the need to just push through tough times, because eventually things will come right (usually). At least, if they don't come right, they will in heaven! They'll come perfectly right. That's encouraging.

Back on the holiday... When we were at Parua Bay, which is a sublime, peaceful little nook of Whangarei harbour, on our first day we drove out to the end of the Heads to a relatively exclusive end of Ocean Beach, and I fell in love with the place. It quite easily has to be my favourite beach: it's about 5ks long, perfect for walks and talks, and where we set up it was a nice sheltered part with only a handful of other people (really little people.). We just spent every day out there, reading, playing cricket, chatting and snacking. Rupert was such a legend. He had a big chilly bin which he brought down every day loaded with Cokes and beers for us all to enjoy! Such inspiring generosity. It made me think: I want to put myself in a position where I'm able to share from what I have too. Psalm 112a (haha Bridget thinks it's so bad I add the 'a' in there! To my mind it means the first half of the verse) says 'Good will come to him who lends freely', so Rupert should have a fair amount coming his way!

I'm going to Brisbane in 4 days. Not the best timing it has to be said... Apparently the city's in ruins. It's going to be quite devastating to see I think. And scary, because I've heard the water has stirred up all the snakes and spiders, so I have to say I'm a bit nervous about that! But I'm excited to see our friends again. And actually, I think it's pretty awesome timing. Our friends emailed to say we'll probably spend a day or two helping out other families, so I'm pretty pumped. I've had plenty of holiday already, so I'm looking forward to being able to just help out! Apparently there are 6000 kiwi volunteers over there already! Go kiwis. Watch out for snakes though...

One thing I am bummed about Aussie is that I'll be there when Bridge leaves for London! Such a bad friend I am, having my little one week holiday when she leaves on her at-least-a-year-long trip! I'ma miss her a stack. She is the Queen bee's knees, and quite my cup o' tea. I'm so excited for her though! She'll be living in England meeting a whole new crew and working in a whole new place, with the aim to do mission work in Africa (or somewhere extreme) after! Admirable no? Yes! I can just imagine God, Jesus and Mr. Holy Spirit just raving to each other about her! Haha. Fingers crossed she'll be back soon enough though :)

Do you know what's not admirable? Blogging at 3pm on a beautiful sunny day!

No comments: