Thursday, February 3, 2011

Under the influence of Paper Kites.

I got back from Aussie about a week ago, having avoided both flood and cyclone (!), and arrived in Auckland to a terrific surprise. Dad was there to greet us, which was cool because it's always nice to see him, but the surprise was my old bud Jade! She'd been gone 6 months to South America and London, and we thought she'd still be gone until Feb 10th... so when she rushed up behind us, Meg filming the whole event, we were pretty mightily surprised! Em teared up and couldn't contain herself; I acted cool and pretended immediately that I knew all along... Haha it was fantastic. It turns out our whole group of friends, and even people we don't know had been given direct instructions to not let the Rices know, so as not to ruin her big show at the airport! Pretty epic. It's crazy how easily she's fat (fitted) back in. Just like old times.

A couple of days after our return, we were roadie-ing down to Parachute, this one to be my 8th. It was different to other years. The main stage line up was much less impressive in stature than we've become used to, not that I really minded. I'm way too pretentious and indie and hipster and skuxx for that stage. It was actually awesome though because it meant the lesser known artists, especially locals really flourished. It was so great to see Avalanche City, Alaska and Paper Kites, among others playing to full audiences and getting the attention they deserve. I hope Life FM took notice! For me there really is no weekend better than Parachute, walking from stage to stage having your ears filled up with such a great variety of good music, and then letting it simmer as you hang with friends in the village or tents and maybe listen to a sermon or two. It was inspiring musically. Spiritually too. Lately I'd say I've had quite a lot more than usual on my mind, which has distracted me from having that pure love relationship with God that I think is so important. Leading up to the festival my mates had been getting right into their own relationships with Him, getting heaps out of a couple of worship nights which I found myself feeling distant in. For the first half of Parachute it was the same: I stood back merely spectating the worship, while I could see my friends up the front loving every minute of it. I felt skeptical and full of doubt, only able to appreciate it as good music. At the Sunday night service during the Chris Tomlin set, Louie Giglio spoke, giving his Indescribable sermon. It talks about the stars and the massiveness of our universe, revealing how big our God is to create it all, and how insignificant we really are in comparison... but also how loved we are, that this God who created stars and galaxies of a scale beyond our comprehension, still knows each of our names. And not just that, he made such an effort to relate to us that he sent his son down in human form to live with us, and then die for us... Sorry, I don't really mean to preach. It's just that for me in that moment it was great to be reminded of the God I'm supposed to love and adore. My problems weren't so big anymore, but my God is. I love how Parachute and other camps can do that, give me a kick and remind me about stuff that I forget. I shouldn't forget that my God is big.

Post-Parachute I went tramping with what my friend apparently referred to as a 'Mongrel Mob'! Haha, it was a bit. Besides Lucy, I wasn't really very familiar with the group, but that's the beauty of tramping. It unites people! I wouldn't say it's the actual tramping that unites people - if I may quote Hannah mid-the ascent of a long hill: "I'm miserable." Haha, but the whole experience certainly does. We did a Mt Pirongia overnight walk, staying in a cute little Christmas coloured hut overlooking the bush to the vast Waikato plains below on the east. The track was reasonably tricky, so we didn't rush it (he writes chuckling to himself as he thinks about the pace...). It was so cool, because as we walked the order would change every now and then, and as we were all fairly unfamiliar with each other, there was always plenty of conversation to be had, and if not, it was cool because we were walking in beautiful New Zealand bush! You actually can't beat it! In the hut the girls prepared a great meal for us, and we drank wine and everyone told stories, often quite hilarious. It's such an awesome way to get to know people, free from all distractions. So honest and pure! I am keen for more!

3 comments:

Lucy said...

Yay! I got a mention. Your last paragraph made me all nostalgic. A compulsory reunion tramp is in order upon my return.

Elisha Cho said...

It's like in Blue Like Jazz when Don goes into the woods with the hippies and has real fellowship with them.

Parachute is great!

Elliot Rice said...

Yessss! Reunion tramp sounds great!!!