Tuesday, April 26, 2011

First post from the flat!

We have internet! It has been a joyous evening of silent virtual interaction for us all! We are sitting in the lounge, glued to our screens for the first time in a month, occasionally mentioning things we see online. It's wonderful! Instead of sliding across to Pavis' side to watch a YouTube clip just now I got him to link it to me! Haha gold.

So priorities of course: my blog! So much has happened in the last month, too much to write in one blog without destroying you all with boredom... But I'll tell you a bit about a few key moments that have been pretty memorable...

Sam Pavis moved in as flat mate number 5! It's been great having him round. Not that these boys have replaced my family at all, but these fullas are so good to live with, how we all care about each others' days and want to be involved in each others' lives and want to contribute to the success of the flat. He's fit right in, cooking great meals and loving the cleaning jobs (he's easily replaced Ben 'Bertha' as the flat mum, but let's be honest, he lost that roll when he woke up one morning and drank a cup of sticky liquid that had sat out for the night and quite obviously had a long, rather thick line of ants running up into it. Rugged...

Speaking of rugged, I did my first solo tramping trip a couple of weeks ago! I was rostered off 2 days in a row from work so I took the opportunity to head into the Waitaks with my pack, boots and tent for a little adventure and extended quiet time. It was so good to get away from the busyness of life and just enjoy a walk in raw nature. Life has been incredibly busy lately, even though I'm only working 5-6hr days at the cafe, with activities on every night without fail (often two of them), plus getting things sorted at the flat and organising for various things I'm involved in, so this little getaway was pretty valuable to me. I'd always toyed with the idea of going alone into the wild, so I'm glad I manned up and did it. I actually found it all too short. Next time I'm keen for several days, to really get free of the noise of daily life and come to a place where I can think clearly and can listen to God without distraction. I'm still interested in doing Te Araroa later on this year, especially given my plans for the year are still so vague. Now that the internet and I are back together I will get to investigating this adventure!

This weekend I went to Easter Camp with the Windsor Park youth as a leader for Fuel. It was brilliant as always. God especially. It's such a great camp, and I love the 5 day length. It gives us such ample opportunity to really get to know the youth we live and go deep. It's also intense and exhausting! Every day I saw my boys getting more and more into it all, and into God. It was so special to be a part of it and to be able to share from my experiences and knowledge and lead them into their own relationships with Him. We had one boy give his life to Christ which I'm over the moon about. I'm so excited now to keep up the relationships we developed there, and take them further. Let the discipleship continue!

Otherwise, life continues as usual. I'm still working at the cafe, which I still enjoy most of the time. The people there are so great. The hockey season is underway, and though we've lost our first two games 3-1, we're competing well, especially given those are two of the usual top teams. It's mint being part of the team and seeing how we're improving all the time and keep determined to get up and win. Life Group, Home Group, 5pm and 6.30 church services all continue to take my time, but man do they all challenge and encourage me in my walk with Christ! I'm so lucky to be surrounded so wonderfully!

Life is very interesting, and intense. Sorry this has been a bit of a diary, probably not that interesting. I was try and keep these posts more perceptive and thoughtful than informative on my life, as that's pretty self serving I think. Just like a really long Facebook status. I will be posting more frequently I hope, too! Keeeeen!

I'll finish with this. I recently bought the CD.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rad Elliot!!! You rule!