Friday, November 19, 2010

I'm a coward.

Seriously. Over consumption is a major problem. I'm sorry for making light of it on Thursday. It is funny though how some people get way too carried away with the doom messages, and so the result is that it just puts people off and they choose not to care.

It's the same with Christianity a lot of the time. People on street corners, and "hardcore" evangelists go preaching in peoples' faces, and more often than not it just puts people off! And then because of them and how most people shut themselves off from listening to people talking to them about religion, the Christians who are genuine about sharing their faith find it hard to do so with their friends because they get scared they'll offend them, and so the good news hardly ever gets told! And I really do believe it's good news - have you got anything better to offer me than an eternal relationship with the God who created me and loves me more than anything?

Didn't think so.

Maybe my talking about it in my blog where you can read it safely at home will make you start thinking about it if you haven't already. I hope so!

I'm sorry I'm such a wuss about sharing my faith face to face. It's such a hard balance, trying to model my faith by my actions, and venturing beyond that to talk about it with people. I pretty much never do the latter. Why? Well, as I mentioned, I don't want to be one of those in-your-face people who don't seem to know the first thing about you. For them it seems it's just a game. Perhaps they think they'll be rewarded because they talked about God heaps in public? I don't want to be like that. But the main reason is... I'm scared. My faith is something I could get rejected over! If I were to start talking about it with people, I might lose my prized place as 'the funny guy', 'the cool guy' (ok, I didn't have that place)... or even just being a normal friend. I might lose credibility because of it.

But maybe it's something I need to lose credibility over? Maybe you need to hear abut it?

Scratch that. YOU NEED TO HEAR ABOUT IT. It's the only thing you need to hear about. What else really matters? Your job? Your iPhone? Your OE? Your girlfriend? Your mum? Where will they all be in 100 years? Where will you be? Gone. Gone where?

I'm a bit of a hog with my faith really. It's completely unfair how selfish I am, giving you just the surface-deep me when inside and in my church and with my Christian friends we're singing praise to Jesus and we have the most fulfilling relationships with each other and with God. We're actually talking to the guy who created us, and he's talking back. The dude who made all the stars and this great planet and matter (and maybe even anti-matter!) and molecules. The one who angels are afraid to look at - and consider that we're afraid just to look at them! Yeah I know him, and I'm getting to know him better everyday. He's with me when life's good. He's with me when it's bad too. Even when it's just average.

If I had nothing. No food. No friends. No family. No nothin'. Even then, I'd still have him, and that'd be more than enough.

But I'm too scared to tell you.

I'm sorry for being pathetic. Maybe you're glad I am? The devil probably is (yes, he exists too.) Maybe you're gutted and wish I'd told you? Maybe you don't care and stopped reading as soon as you saw this one was a more serious post. Well I'm sorry for that too!

If you want to know, just ask. Maybe that'd be scary? It'd be scary for me! I don't have a lot of answers. I have the basics though.

Please. Get convinced about what you think about God and faith and life and death. Open yourself up to Him. Tell Him you want to know Him if he's there. If he's not, well you opened yourself up to nothing, but now you're convinced so what was the harm? Nothing! But do it. Eternity's a flipping long time to waste.

5 comments:

Katie Ward said...

Preach it.

I don't think you made light of over-consumption. It was the right amount of heavy.

Unknown said...

Yes.

Elisha Cho said...

eli, you are real and i appreciate that

sophieab said...

I used to think I should 'talk' to people more, but I think unless they've given some sort of indication they're interested, it can become more talking 'at' them. Also, it's a risk - talk and risk alienating them, or continue to just 'be', and keep them around so hopefully they can see something attractive in you/your life. Hmm, a difficult one! I hate to think I'm just wussing out though!

Elliot Rice said...

Yeah totally! Not a fan of the talking 'at' at all. Maybe probing by leading them into deep conversations and then catching them out by turning it to a God convo, which they're a part of! Haha! But yeah. Flip. I think honesty's the best key to it. Being real. And thanks you other 3 :)