Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thrilling stillness!

I had written a massive blog that I was pretty pumped about and thought was pretty deep for my standards, and I was going to post it but I'm pretty sure I'm going to speak about it when I do my sermon at the Sunday @ 5 in a couple of weeks (come listen!), so I don't want to put it up because when I speak it people who read it will be like, 'Oh cool... I read this in your blog...' and it'd be stink-buzz! So I'll probably post it or something similar after then :)

But don't worry! Heaps has been happening so I have more to write about!

First, here's a great video that Ben Morley posted on Facebook about a week ago and I've been absolutely obsessed since!


(Here's hoping that worked! It's my first post with a video!)

Yes! It's Puff the Magic Dragon! I think it's so beautiful. Such a joyful and sad tune. It's about the loss of innocence/childhood, not drugs, I think. The crowd is so cool too! Such an indie 60s crew! Or were they mainstream? They sing it so sincerely! Cute.

Hope you enjoyed that :) How about this? My mate Genny posted it and I have now acquired their CD wooh!


Mega cool! They are so into it! Imagine if we worshipped that way? Dayum that would be good.

.................................................

^Tacky page divider.

So I've been working full time at the caf the last week and a bit now and I'm really enjoying it! It's so good to be working and have a reason to rest, rather than resting because there's nothing else to do. Makes me appreciate my quiet time much more. Yesterday on my day off I just cruised. Jordan had stayed the night and we just chilled through the morning. It was great! I love it when the lights are out and there's that silence before you drift off to sleep, and then one of you has another question to ask and so conversation goes on for several more minutes. Conversations seem way deeper and more personal in those situations, it's mint. When he had left I ate a bowl of strawberry and vanilla ice cream and it was particularly good on that March afternoon... I've decided the first two weeks of March are my favourite, weather-wise. They are still nice and hot and summery with heaps of sun, but there's that cool new breeze that is so refreshing and live giving, the way it flows over your face, dry and parched from months of summer's heat and dry. But then it rains and the breeze becomes a cold wind and then it's not so nice and hot and I just want summer back... But yesterday lured me out of the house, it called me down the road to the beach, and it beckoned me lie on a grassy bank by the oily but gentle little Mairangi Bay stream; yesterday's joy was me getting grass in my hair and sun on my legs, and she played to me her beachy sounds (the wave's orchestra, as Andrew put it, the natter of cicadas and birds and dogs, and the occasional car vroom), and life flowed into me! I got so pumped up just sitting there quietly enjoying God's stunning creation...

I was so enthralled my it that I got up at 6 today to get ready for my 8am start, and spent the 7 o'clock hour down on that same bank, sitting in the chill stillness watching the sun rise, while the North Shore elite strolled their dogs or pumped their legs. It was brilliant. So often with my quiet time I try to achieve stuff, like if I have an hour in my room I'll sit at my desk and write my prayers and thanks for 30mins and then read the Bible for 30mins, so that I'm making the most of my short time... But I'm not! I miss out doing it that way. I don't hear from God as well as I could because I'm not listening, I'm busying. So this was awesome, because in that nature, in my quiet, His spirit moved me and encouraged me. Who else could I live for but He who created such a beautiful morning for me? And so my day went terrifically. Work was busy but I was up for it because I was growing the kingdom of heaven, not merely washing dishes and being rushed off my feet. Despite the stress of a busy cafe day, I had peace and joy! Can't wait for Presence tomorrow at 7 in Browns Bay. A group of us are praying and worshipping there, come join if you can! The stars are out tonight by the way, have a look :)

No comments: