I was so on the brink of deactivating my Facebook just then. Man. Still seriously thinking about it. I use it way too much. Rely on it even. I always say I just want to use it for events and contacting distant friends, but it's just so awfully easy to click 'Home' and get sucked in. I spend far too much time just scrolling down,looking for entertainment. When I get bored of that, it's onto people profiles, and that's just terrible! Seriously, it's stalker-ish (esque?) what it allows us to do... And are my concerns about not having a Facebook really that valid? Yes, it means I can follow what my distant friends are doing much less, but I can still contact them! Email still works. So does the post. So that's easy enough to work around... What about the events? So many things are organised purely on Facebook these days. My 21st wouldn't have happened without it, and how many would I have missed without it? But perhaps that's ok. I always talk about my F.O.M.O. tendencies, but I rarely do anything to curb them. I don't really need to go to any of these hang outs or parties or events. Life will go on with or without me! But will mine without them? Maybe that would be a good thing for me to learn. And surely, if people really wanted me at their event, they could simply text me?
I don't want this to be my reality:

Alright, that settles it. I'm trialling this. One week without Facebook. This is going to be hard I'm sure. I never make stupidly big challenges like this (I apologise if this sounds pathetic to those of you who find living without Facebook simple!), but I've become far too reliant on this thing, and I don't want a ridiculously fat file in my life for 'Time Wasted On Facebook' (re: The Room - previous blog entry). I'm sure it's already ridiculously big enough as it is! And please do contact me if something is happening that without Facebook I won't know of - I don't want to miss out on everything... Yikes! Ok, here goes. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment